KUCHING, Aug 17 — The RM365.74 million Sejingkat Bridge is set to open to the public on Oct 1, marking a significant milestone as the 12th bridge completed under the Sarawak Government’s road network transformation plan.
Sarawak Deputy Premier and Minister for Infrastructure and Port Development Datuk Amar Douglas Uggah Embas said the four-lane, dual-carriageway bridge would ease peak-hour congestion and provide a smoother alternative route between Kuching and Kota Samarahan.
“Previously, people from Kota Samarahan or Serian heading to Demak Laut, Petra Jaya or the industrial areas on this side had to travel through the city centre, causing serious traffic congestion.
“With the completion of this bridge, much of the traffic can be diverted directly, significantly reducing congestion,” he told reporters after officiating at the Sejingkat Bridge stitching ceremony here today.
Uggah said the 1.28-kilometre bridge spanning the Sarawak River forms part of the Sarawak Coastal Road Network project, which is fully funded by the state government under the Post-COVID-19 Development Strategy (PCDS) 2030.
The new bridge is expected to shorten travel times and improve connectivity for local communities while acting as a catalyst for socioeconomic development by unlocking commercial, agricultural and aquaculture potential along the corridor, he added.
















Leave a Reply